Established in 1997 at the National Center for Higher Education, Washington, D.C., PESC operates as an international 501(c)(3) non-profit, community-based, umbrella association of:
- Data, Software, Technology Service Providers & Vendors
- Schools, Districts, Colleges & Universities
- College, University & State/Provincial Systems
- Local, State/Provincial & Federal Government Offices
- Professional, Commercial & Non-Profit Organizations
- Non-Profit Associations & Foundations
The body envisions national and international interoperability within the Education domain, supported by a trustworthy, inter-connected network built by and between communities of interest in which data flows seamlessly and automatically from one network to another when and where needed without any compatibility barriers.